写文章
陈闯
2025-01-22 10:42

How to Start a Startup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBYhVcO4WgI&t=311s
原始内容

640?wx_fmt=png&from=appmsg&tp=webp&wxfro
Transcript:

(00:01) Welcome. Can I turn this on? Maybe, all right.  
欢迎大家。我可以打开这个吗?也许,好吧。 

>> Can people hear in the back?  
>> 后面的朋友们能听见吗? 

>> Can you guys hear me? Is the mic on? No, ah, maybe you can ask them to turn it on.  
>> 你们能听见我说话吗?麦克风开了吗?没有吗,啊,可能你们可以让他们打开。 

Maybe we can get a bigger, ah, there we go. All right. Maybe we can get a bigger auditorium, we'll see.  
也许我们可以换一个更大的礼堂,看看吧。 

So welcome to CS183B. I'm Sam Altman. I'm the President of Y Combinator.  
欢迎来到CS183B课程。我是Sam Altman,Y Combinator的总裁。 

(00:28) Nine years ago, I was a Stanford student and then I dropped out to start a company.  
九年前,我还是斯坦福大学的学生,后来我辍学去创办了一家公司。 

And then I've been an investor for the last few.  
随后,我成为了一名投资人。 

So, at YC, we've been teaching people how to start startups for nine years.  
在YC,我们已经教授了如何创办初创公司九年。 

Most of it's very hands on and specific to the startups.  
大部分内容是非常实操的,针对具体的初创公司。 

But, 30% of it is pretty generally applicable.  
但其中30%的内容是可以广泛应用的。 

(00:45) And so, we think that we can teach that 30% in this class.  
所以我们认为我们可以在这门课上教授那30%的内容。 

And even though that's only 30% of the way there hopefully it'll still be really helpful.  
即使那只是成功的一部分,希望仍然能非常有帮助。 

We've taught a lot of this at YC already, but it's all been off the record.  
我们在YC已经教过很多这样的内容,但之前都没有公开。 

And this is the first time that a lot of what we teach in YC is gonna be on the record.  
这是我们第一次将YC所教的内容公开。 

(01:00) So we've invited some of our best speakers to come and give the same talks they give at YC.  
所以我们邀请了一些最优秀的讲者,来给大家讲授他们在YC上分享的内容。 

We've now funded 720 companies.  
到目前为止,我们已经资助了720家公司。 

And so, we're pretty sure that a lot of this advice is pretty good.  
所以,我们非常确信这些建议是非常有效的。 

We can't fund every startup yet, but we can hopefully make this advice very generally available.  
我们还不能资助每一家初创公司,但希望能把这些建议广泛传播。 

Guest speakers are gonna teach 17 of the 20 classes.  
这门课的20节课中,将由嘉宾讲师教授17节。 

(01:19)
I'm only teaching three. Counting YC itself, every guest speaker has
been involved in the creation of a billion plus dollar company.  
我只会教授三节课。包括YC本身,每位嘉宾讲师都参与了创办一家市值超过十亿美元的公司。 

So the advice shouldn't be that theoretical. It's all been, it's all from people who have done it.  
所以这些建议不应该是空泛的理论,都是来自那些已经成功实践过的人。 

All of the advice in this class is geared towards people starting a business where the goal was hyper-growth.  
这门课的所有建议都是针对那些目标是超高速增长的创业公司。 

(01:39) And eventually building a very large company.  
最终要建立一家非常大的公司。 

Much of it doesn't apply in other cases and I wanna warn people up front.  
其中很多内容在其他情况中并不适用,我希望提前警告大家。 

That if you try and do these things in a lot of big companies or non startups, it won't work.  
如果你尝试在很多大公司或者非初创公司中实施这些方法,是行不通的。 

It
should still be interesting. I, I really do think that startups are the
way of the future and it's worth trying to understand them.  
这仍然会很有趣。我真的认为初创公司是未来的发展方向,值得尝试去理解它们。 

(01:55) But startups are very different than normal companies.  
但初创公司与普通公司是非常不同的。 

So
over the course of today and Thursday, I'm gonna try to give an
overview of the four areas that you need to excel at in order to
maximize your chances of success at a startup.  
所以在今天和周四的课程中,我会尽力概述四个你需要在初创公司中脱颖而出的领域,以最大化成功的机会。 

And then throughout the course, the guest speakers are gonna drill into all of these in more detail.  
然后,在整个课程中,嘉宾讲师会更详细地讲解这些内容。 

(02:12) So the four areas, you need a great idea, a great product, a great team and great execution.  
这四个领域分别是:你需要一个伟大的创意,一个出色的产品,一支优秀的团队,以及卓越的执行力。 

These overlap somewhat, but I'm gonna have to talk about them somewhat individually to make it make sense.  
这四者有一些重叠,但我必须分别谈论它们,以便让大家理解。 

You
may still fail. The outcome is something like idea times product times
execution times team times luck, where luck is the random number between
0 and 10,000.  
你可能仍然会失败。成功的结果就像是创意乘以产品乘以执行乘以团队,再乘以运气,运气是0到10000之间的随机数。 

Literally that much.  
字面意思就是这么大。 

(02:34) Literally that much.  
字面意思就是这么大。 

But if you do really well in the four areas you can control, you have a good chance of at least some amount of success.  
但如果你在这四个你可以控制的领域做得非常好,你至少有一定的成功机会。 

One of the exciting things about startups, is that they are surprisingly even playing field.  
关于初创公司的一件令人兴奋的事是,它们是一个出乎意料的公平竞技场。 

Young and inexperienced, you can do this. Old and very experienced, you can do this too.  
年轻且经验不足,你可以做得到。年长且经验丰富,你也可以做到。 

(02:51)
And one of the things that I particularly like about startups is that
some of the things that are bad in other work situations, like being
poor and unknown are actually huge assets when it comes to starting a
startup.  
我特别喜欢初创公司的另一个原因是,在其他工作环境中不利的因素,比如贫穷和默默无闻,实际上在创业时却是巨大的资产。 

Before we jump in on the how. I want to talk about why you should start a startup.  
在我们深入探讨如何做之前,我想谈谈为什么你应该创办一家初创公司。 

I'm somewhat hesitant to be doing this class at all, because you should never start a startup just for the sake of doing so.  
我有些犹豫是否开设这门课,因为你绝不应该仅仅为了创业而创业。 

(03:13)
There are much easier ways to get rich and everyone who starts a
startup always says, always, that they couldn't have imagined how hard
and painful it was going to be.  
有许多更简单的致富方式,每个创办初创公司的人都会说,他们从未想过创业会有如此艰难和痛苦。 

You should only start a startup if you com, feel compelled by a particular problem.  
你只有在你对某个问题有强烈的感召力时,才应该创办初创公司。 

And that you think starting a company is the best way to solve it.  
而且你认为创办公司是解决这个问题的最佳方式。 

The specific passion should come first and the startup second.  
具体的激情应该排在首位,创业公司排在第二位。 

In fact, all of the big successes we have at YC followed this.  
事实上,我们YC的所有成功案例都是遵循这个原则的。 

(03:27)
So, for the second half of today's lecture, Dustin Moskovitz the
co-founder of Facebook and Asana, is going to take over and talk about
why to start a startup.  
所以,在今天讲座的后半部分,Facebook和Asana的联合创始人Dustin Moskovitz将接管并讲解为什么要创办初创公司。 

We're so surprised by the amount of attention that this class got.  
我们对于这门课所获得的关注感到非常惊讶。 

(03:45) That we wanna make sure we spend a lot of time on the why.  
所以我们要确保在“为什么”上花费足够的时间。 
(04:21) And great execution is at least ten times more important and a hundred times harder than a good idea.  
伟大的执行力至少比一个好的创意重要十倍,且比它难度大一百倍。 

But the pendulum has swung way out of whack here. A bad idea is still bad.  
但如今,情况已经完全失衡。一个坏的创意仍然是坏的。 

In the pivot happy world that we're in today, it feels really sub optimal.  
在今天这个充满“转型”热潮的世界里,听起来真的很不理想。 

Great execution towards a terrible idea will get you nowhere.  
对一个糟糕的创意进行伟大执行是毫无意义的。 

(04:38) There are exceptions, of course.  
当然,也有例外。 

But most great companies start with a great idea, not a pivot.  
但大多数伟大的公司都是从一个伟大的创意开始的,而不是一个转型。 

If
you look at successful pivots, they almost always are a pivot into
something the founders themselves wanted, not a random made up idea.  
如果你看看成功的转型,它们几乎总是创始人自己想要的方向,而不是一个随意编造的创意。 

Airbnb happened because Brian Chesky couldn't pay his rent, but he did have some extra space.  
Airbnb的诞生是因为Brian Chesky支付不了房租,但他确实有一些额外的空间。 

(04:57) In general, though, if you look at the track record of pivots, they don't become big companies.  
但总的来说,如果你看看转型的历史记录,你会发现它们通常不会变成大公司。 

I myself used to believe ideas didn't matter that much, but I'm very sure that's wrong now.  
我曾经认为创意不那么重要,但现在我非常确定那是错的。 

The definition of the idea, as we talk about it, is very broad.  
我们所说的创意的定义非常广泛。 

It includes the size and the growth of the market, the growth strategy for the company, the defensibility strategy and so on.  
它包括市场的规模和增长、公司的增长战略、防御战略等等。 

(05:18) When you're evaluating an idea, you need to think through all these things, not just the product.  
在评估创意时,你需要考虑所有这些因素,而不仅仅是产品本身。 

If it works out, you're gonna be working on this for ten years.  
如果一切顺利,你将为此工作十年。 

So it's worth some real upfront time to think we've a long term value in the defensibility of the business.  
因此,花些时间认真思考这个问题,评估企业的长期价值和可防御性是值得的。 

Even
though plans themselves are worthless, to exercise a planning is really
valuable and totally missing in most startups today.  
尽管计划本身可能没有价值,但进行规划本身是非常有价值的,而这在今天的大多数初创公司中完全缺失。 

(05:40) Long term thinking is so rare, anywhere, but especially in startups.  
长远思维在任何地方都很稀缺,尤其是在初创公司中。 

That it's a huge advantage if you do it.  
如果你能做到这一点,将是巨大的优势。 

Remember that the idea will expand and become more ambitious as you go.  
记住,随着你的发展,创意会扩展并变得更加雄心勃勃。 

You certainly don't need to have everything figured out, in a path from here to world domination.  
你当然不需要把从这里到世界统治的路径都想得明明白白。 

But you really want a nice kernel to start with.  
但你确实需要一个很好的核心来开始。 

(05:56) >> You want something that can develop in interesting ways.  
你需要的是一个能够以有趣方式发展的东西。 

As
you're thinking through ideas, another thing that we see young founders
get wrong all the time, is that someday you need to build a business
that's difficult to replicate.  
在思考创意时,另一个我们经常看到年轻创始人做错的事情是,他们认为有一天你需要建立一个难以复制的商业模式。 

This is an important part of a good idea.  
这是一个好创意的重要组成部分。 

I wanna make this point again because it's so important.  
我想再次强调这一点,因为它非常重要。 

(06:17) The idea should come first, and the startup should come second.  
创意应该排在第一位,创业公司应该排在第二位。 

Wait to start a startup, until you come up with an idea you feel compelled to explore.  
等到你想到一个让你迫切想去探索的创意,再去创业。 

This is also the way to choose between multiple ideas.  
这也是在多个创意之间做选择的方法。 

If
you have several ideas that all seem pretty good, work on the one that
you think about most often when you're not trying to think about work.  
如果你有几个看起来都不错的创意,选择那个在你不刻意考虑工作时最常想到的创意来着手。 

(06:34)
But we hear again and again from founders that they wish they had
waited to start a startup until they came up with an idea that they
really loved.  
但我们一次又一次地听到创始人们说,他们希望当初能等到有一个真正热爱的创意才开始创业。 

Another way of looking at this is that the best companies are almost always mission oriented.  
从另一个角度来看,最好的公司几乎总是以使命为导向。 

It's
difficult to get large groups of people to the extreme levels of focus
and productivity that you need for a startup to be successful, unless
the company feels like an important mission.  
除非公司有一种重要的使命感,否则很难让一大群人集中精力和生产力,达到初创公司成功所需要的极限水平。 




点赞
举报
收藏
转发
0/500
添加表情
评论
3天2夜学会建站
置顶时间 :

设置帖子类型

普通
新闻
活动
修改

圈内转发

0/104

分享至微信

复制链接

举报

请选择举报理由

留联系方式
垃圾广告
人身攻击
侵权抄袭
违法信息
举报

确认要删除自己的评论吗?

取消 确定

确认要删除自己的文章吗?

取消 确定
提问
设置提问积分
当前可用积分:
-
+
20
50
100
200
偷看

积分偷看

10积分
我的积分(可用积分)
确认偷看

问题已关注

答主回复后,系统将通知你

不再提示